Monday, March 15, 2010

Team training....
















I have a lot of people ask me, "how do you make it work to get out and exercise when you have 3 kids"? My answer is, "we get real creative!" Some days it's bikes and roller blades, other days it's dogs on leashes. Whatever it takes....we make it work.

I made so many excuses for so many years why I couldn't exercise. Then one day when not long after we had started training/walking & running last September, I saw a man who had lost a leg and was on his custom bicycle for paraplegics. As he cycled past me in the opposite direction, pedaling with his hands, I thought, "wow, if he can get out here and do this with a physical limitation - shame on me for making up excuses like 'I'm tired' or 'I didn't get enough sleep' or 'what if one of the kids tires out and can't make it' - NO MORE EXCUSES!"

So, with a made up mind - this family has spent the past 6 months dedicated to exercise and taking care of our heart, lungs and bodies. Yes, Mike and I have given a few piggy back rides to kids, had to pull a rollerblader (huh-humm, Emily) back to the truck 2 miles away and even pedaled a kid or two on the handlebars of their youth-sized bicycles all the way back to the starting line to get to the bathroom in time. But, you know what....it's been worth it! What better way to spend time together and take care of this "vessel" that God gave us, and - oh, by the way, that you only get ONE of!

So I encourage you....find something you can do together. Make it fun! Commit to it - and do it! Maybe you'll cut out a movie night and go for a bike ride instead. Or, plan a vacation spot based entirely on the hiking trails that surround it. Get outside, move, breath and feel better.....

More to come....from team "Moving Forward" (also known as the Naz Fam!)




No comments:

Post a Comment